Welcome to the Health Sciences Writing Centre
- Individual student instruction
- Support for your writing development
- Writing resources
- Support for faculty to integrate writing into classes
To Book an Appointment
Registered undergraduate or graduate students (with a valid UTOR/ID) in one of the following University of Toronto Faculties are welcome to book appointments:
- Pharmacy/Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Kinesiology & Physical Education
- Social Work
Students in these faculties who try to book appointments at other college writing centres will be re-directed to the Health Sciences Writing Centre. Ensure your correct current email address is in your student record to receive appointment confirmations and reminders. Please note the location in which you book your appointment -- remember we have five locations.
News & Announcements
Holiday closing: Dec 16, 2017 - January 7, 2018
We re-open on Monday, January 8, 2018. Our winter term appointment schedule is available online.
Are you a first-year undergraduate student in KPE? ACReW can improve your academic reading and writing.
ACReW (Academic Reading and e-Writing) is an online program for first-year undergraduate KPE students, offering individualized feedback on your academic reading and writing skills. Sign up for a 2-week session to get paired up with a writing instructor – space is limited!
What is required?
1. read something of your choice (a course reading, a newspaper article, a magazine report, etc.)
2. write a short email (one page or less) to a writing instructor, responding to the reading (e.g., summarizing it, paraphrasing, or reflecting on it).
3. your instructor will write you back, commenting on your response and its strengths and weaknesses
ACReW can help you develop the ability to recognize key points and respond to them, practice citation, improve your academic vocabulary, and identify skills you need to improve. Two readings/writings each week are scheduled.
This program is operated by the Health Sciences Writing Centre. It is free, but requires students to sign up and commit to participating for two weeks. Space is limited, so students may be put on a waiting list for the next available session.
Session Winter1: January 8-19, 2018 Session winter2: January 22-Feb 2, 2018
Sign up by emailing Dr. Boba Samuels at email@example.com. Provide your full name, student number, and which session (Winter 1 or Winter 2) you wish to enroll in. You will receive additional information when your participation is confirmed.